Hello Everyone!
I have had many math teachers throughout my life and have experienced a wide variety of teaching styles. My least favourite math teacher was a professor at the university where I completed my undergraduate degree. He was extremely monotone, did not use slides or a PowerPoint, and often did not explain why we were doing the mathematics we were doing. It was a very difficult fourth-year course, so I understood that the material was supposed to be complicated. However, there was very little explanation of the reasoning behind the mathematical processes. As a result, the math often felt random, and I found that I did not know how to approach a problem if the scenario was changed. Additionally, there were no PowerPoint slides or lecture packages to follow along with. Everything was written on the board as he taught and then erased when he needed more space. When I asked questions, his explanations were often unclear and sometimes left me feeling “dumb” for not understanding. This experience taught me how important it is for students to understand not only how to solve a problem, but also why they are solving it and how the concepts connect.
My favourite math teacher was a different university professor who taught my Calculus course. He was enthusiastic, welcoming, organized, and made the class enjoyable. He would sometimes make math jokes in the middle of a lesson that made everyone laugh, which helped create a positive classroom environment. He also provided a printed booklet containing the course content and practice problems, which made it easy to follow along and stay organized. Most importantly, he was extremely approachable and genuinely believed that there was no such thing as a “dumb” question. He was very good at explaining the mathematics and the reasoning behind each step, as well as showing us how different scenarios could change the way a problem was solved. He still challenged us, but he created an environment where being challenged felt motivating rather than discouraging. Reflecting on both of these experiences has shown me that as I take on the role of a teacher, I want to create a classroom where students feel comfortable asking questions, understand the reasoning behind the mathematics, and feel challenged while also feeling supported.
No comments:
Post a Comment